Do you like to dabble in all sorts of tabletop games? Genres? Are you a fan of D&D but also enjoy playing PbtA games and have a few Fate Dice at home? Then have we got the Kickstarter for you.
Broken Ruler Games is pleased to announce our third Kickstarter of 2019 has just launched. The World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game: The Zine will put an “indie spin” on the 5th edition of the world’s most popular roleplaying game. Available exclusively through this Kickstarter (meaning it will not be sold anywhere else outside of this 30-day campaign), WGRG: The Zine aims to create up to four issues released throughout 2020.
While we’re still working on lining up a list of D&D and indie designers for this zine, we did want to let you know some of the articles we’re working on.
- Investigation mechanics for 5e – Turn your dunegon crawl into an archaelogical mystery or adapt 5e for a modern detective story using an optional investigation system inspired by the GUMSHOE system by Robin Laws and published by Pelegrane Press.
- Complications on failed rolls – What if you could take away the pass/fail aspect of attack rolls and make those failures add excitement and tension to your game? We’re looking into an optional rule that would apply story-based complications onto those failures to keep players on their toes during a wicked battle.
- Building a relationship (mechanic) – Just who ARE these people you travel with? On those long journeys from dungeon to dungeon, who do you bond with the most and what lines can you never cross with them? Adding some relationship mechanics can turn your 5e game into a well-produced HBO action/drama series.
- How about a high school drama hack of 5e? – Whether your characters are training to become adventurers in one of your world’s greatest academies or in a modern world of everyday teens struggling to get through another Monday, it’s time to really show what these rules can do!
- Alternate death rules – Feel like living on the edge with your characters? Strip away those death saves and walk on the wild side with some alternate rules that could actually make you wish someone memorized a raise dead spell.
- The World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game: The Game – Imagine a Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA) RPG about a group of players playing 5e that takes place while YOU play 5e. Featuring playbooks such as the Rules Lawyer, the Min-Maxer and more, each playbook taps into the pros and cons of each of the most common player types in the hobby to provide in-game moves triggered by the events in your existing game of 5e.