Back in mid-2015, we experimented with something different to help attract playtesters for ScreenPlay and involved participants receiving playtest points in exchange for their feedback on the game. Released as ScreenPlay: The Rehearsal Edition, it went through five playtest drafts in a 16-week period and was nominated for an Best Free Game ENnie in 2016. We’re happy to announce the points are back with our new Broken Designs Patreon page!
To understand how they work, we’ve provided this page and the following key conditions when it comes to accumulating them and cashing in on some rewards.
- Playtest points (or PPs, for short) are only available to all patrons who participate in individual projects provided through our Broken Designs Patreon.
- There are no bulk totals and all PPs are tracked according to the individual project you provided feedback. For example, providing feedback for the latest playtest draft of Dimensions will not work towards any of the rewards provided for Dinosaur Project playtesters.
- Every time a new playtest draft is uploaded to patrons, there will be three different levels of feedback you can provide. These are provided in the Playtest Point Feedback Levels, below. You can submit multiple forms but only one per feedback level.
- Once a new playtest draft is provided, feedback will close on previous drafts. For example, if the 3rdplaytest draft of Pandora is released, you cannot submit feedback for the previous two drafts.
- When the project’s playtesting is officially closed (and posted on the Broken Designs Patreon), all PPs will be totalled and posted for all applicable playtesters to see.
Playtest Point Feedback Levels
Here’s how the points are assigned based on individual playtest drafts on the Broken Designs Patreon page. Each survey will provide you with a set number of points accumulated when the first playtest draft is provided to patrons to when playtesting officially closes.
|Level||Playtest Points Awarded|
|Reader||You will receive 1 PP whenever you complete one Reader Survey per playtest draft released.|
|Player||You will receive 2 PPs whenever you complete one Player Survey per playtest draft released. This level is for anyone who has taken on the role of a Writer to create a lead character and others for the purpose of completing a story. Plus receive +1 PP whenever you share your completed lead character with the patrons on our Discord.|
|Facilitator||You will receive 3 PPs whenever you complete one Facilitator Survey per playtest draft released. This level is for anyone who has taken on the role of the GM (or host) and guided a group of players through at least one session of the playtest draft. Plus receive +1 PP for sharing some or all of the particulars of your session with the patrons on our Discord.|
Standard Reward Levels
When this playtesting period is complete, we’ll tally up the points and offer the following benefits. Delivery dates will vary per project and those backers who have earned PPs for the project will be notified of any updates regarding delivery, delays, etc.
|Total Playtest Points (per project)||Rewards|
|1 to 4||Playtester Credit: Your name will be listed as a Playtester for the finished project.|
|5 to 9||Digital Copy: You will also receive a free PDF copy of the finished project.|
|10 to 14||Mystery Bonus #1: Each project could provide special rewards for their patrons. This additional reward level will be unlocked when the Broken Designs Patreon reaches 25 patrons.|
|15 to 19||Mystery Bonus #2: Each project could provide special rewards for their patrons. This additional reward level will be unlocked when the Broken Designs Patreon reaches 50 patrons.|